Sep 1, 2009

She Saved All Her Love For Me

Well it’s been a while since the last entry in The Nation, I’ve been busy. Get over it. No real Janet news as of late, but I’ll try to keep you abreast.

Anyway, “The Voice” is back with a new album that is currently in stores today entitled I Look To You, so if haven’t picked up a copy, please do so. I’ve listen to the entire album and I admit that it is a solid effort considering the circumstances. I would be lying to you if I told you her voice was in good shape. Nonetheless, her voice is listenable, and it has improved from what it was last year. It is a bit stronger, and she can carry a tune better. If only she would get with a vocal coach and improve on what voice she has now. However, All Music Guide put it best: 

“…Whitney can still sing, knowing when to wring emotion out of a phrase, knowing when not to push for the glory notes that she can no longer hit.”


If her voice was a bit stronger and clearer, I feel as though the songs would have been more pleasant to my ears. There are some classic Whitney moments on the album i.e. her signature belts, emotions, some here and there runs, the crystalline singing voice, among other things. So as stated, I listened to the album, and enjoyed at least half of the tracks, which is a good thing. Of course I enjoyed the opening track, the title track, and a few others, but it is a good album. I was almost tempted to go out and purchase it. However, Janet implants a microscopic chip just behind your cerebellum that only allows you to purchase albums by artists with the last name Jackson. 

So as you know I like to visit the boards and see what’s going on with all of my favorite artists. The kids on Janet-Xone and Beyoncé World seem to be enjoying the album. It’s the same story with Christina and a few others. [sighs] But like always there are people who like to hate, just for the sake of hating. The kids are out of their straight jackets and the tasers didn’t come with Energizer batteries. Not only are they trashing the album, but taking shots at Whitney and her career. I see it mainly from the Mariah fans. I’m not sure if this is a continuation of the long-time rivalry between the two singers, but I see it a lot. I don’t see how they can talk about Whitney when Mariah has dumbed down her talents for a hit, her voice is shattered beyond repair, and her album has been pushed back to Ancient Rome. I think Mariah even knows her place is below Godney Allahzabeth Christon: 




 Now, I think the Whitney fans are aware of the obvious…Whitney did drugs, her voice isn’t the same, her album will not sell millions. That’s common sense. Whatever. However, you have to give her credit for her dedication to music, and to her fans. She could have retired to a beach as she had planned. She could have not made another album until God came knocking on her door. She chose to take the high road. She got rid of the little gremlin, she got through all 12 steps of her recovery program, and she got her life back on track. She even went shopping at the local flea market a got her and little Bobby Christina a pair of matching leopard print knee high snow boots for the winter. 

If people would set aside their hate, and actually listen to the album, they just might enjoy it. I’ve heard someone goes as far as saying “she needs to give it up.” Why should she have to give up? So what if it doesn’t sell millions. She’s already sold over 130 million albums. No one told Aretha Franklin to stop making albums because they weren’t selling. Has it occurred that she’s doing this because she loves music, and her fans? So what if her voice isn’t the same. She’s still the greatest female singer to walk this earth. So what if she didn’t write the songs. Whitney didn’t sign up to be a songwriter. She said she wanted to sing. And that is what she does. And just because you write your music, that doesn’t mean it’s good:


My main point is, you have to give credit where credit is due. The woman is trying, and that’s all that matters. 


Whitney Houston, well I can’t understand the hate. She deserves the utmost respect. This woman has sold an impressive 170 million records. She has 11 #1 singles and 23 top ten hits. She is the most awarded woman in history according to Guinness. She has undeniably set the standard for singing since her debut. She has sung on stages in South Africa, England, Russia, and many other places around the world. “I Will Always Love You” puts an ass whoppin’ on many artists’ catalogues in terms of popularity. This woman has put in her work. She has her life back on track. And we all know America likes come backs and success stories. And I have proof of that.  

Where ever she appears, she will get a standing ovation



She will still have her awards



She will always be “The Voice”



She will forever be Whitney “The Voice” Houston

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was an awesome comment about WHITNEY HOUSTON .... I LOVE HER SHE HAS ANS WILL ALWAYS BE MY FAVORITE SINGER, PERFOMER THERE ARE NONE LIKE HER VOICE WISE EVEN ON A BAD DAY.... I LOVE HER EVEN IF SHE IS OFF VOICE WISE AT LEAST SHE DOESNT TRY TO HIDE IT WITH A MIC ON THE SIDE OF HER MOUTH AND PRETENT SHE IS IN GOOD VOICE.. SHE SINGS LIVE ALL THE TIME GOOD OR BAD... THANKS SO MUCH FOR DEFENDING HER ...THE VOICE FOREVER

Anonymous said...

Whoever wrote this is VERY intelligent and reasonable. I'm glad a fan of another artist noticed the hate Whitney has been receiving, mainly from Mariah fans. I won't even go into how much I agreed with this post. I'm not a HUGE fan of Whitney, but what you said made a lot of sense, and I'm glad you spoke the truth. It's pretty sad that the Mariah fans feel threatened by Whitney's comeback. It's pretty pathetic. I can't wait til Whitney prove people wrong, and I'm rooting for her.

Anonymous said...

You better preach!!!! Whitney is a legend, there is no doubt about it. Even with 1/2 the voice she had in her prime, she is still the best of the best. Thank you for posting this.

Reggie said...

Whitney's voice was like straight butter back in the day. Hearing her sing "You give good love" sent goosebumps up my spine. She had something that so many of these tired ass wanna be divas of today wish they had......raw talent. I just hope that she didn't smoke all her talent up.

Post a Comment